Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Some Answers

My doctor appointment last week went well. The pathology report showed that the samples they received were normal products of a degenerative pregnancy. I asked to see the post-operative report from the doctor and the pathology report - after all the medical tests I've had in the past, its helpful to read these even if I don't understand all the terminology. If they were in normal English instead of medical speak it would be better, but with google, it helps put the pieces together. The doctor said everything looked good - uterus and cervix all looked normal and gave us the go ahead to start trying again once I got my period, which he expected in 2-4 weeks. So we left feeling hopeful. Still sad, but hopeful.

Then this Tuesday I got a phone call from the doctors office that the chromosome testing was back from the Mayo clinic and they had more information as to why I had a miscarriage. It turns out this pregnancy was a triploid, which means it had a whole extra set of chromosmes. Normal humans have 46 chromosomes - 23 are inherited from each parent. It seems in this rare case, the egg was fertilized by 2 sperm which gave it the extra set, s0 69 total. The nurse said this condition is incompatible with life, meaning this baby wouldn't have survived. I asked her to fax me the complete report which she did. I started doing research on the condition and after what I've found out, it seems this was the best thing that could have happened. This condition is fatal and most pregnancies are lost in the first trimester. The ones that go on longer result in a stillbirth, or a death just after birth. I think God knew I couldn't handle that so decided to take it easy on me. As hard as this has all been to deal with, it makes sense to me now and I am now able to get some closure. I know now there is nothing I could have done to prevent this and its just one of those extremely unfortunate things that happened. The good news is its very unlikely to happen again, so it gives us renewed hope as we plan to try again.

If you'd like to read more about the condition, click this link - its provided the most information and given me the most answers.
http://www.healthline.com/galecontent/triploidy

The sad thing for me, is the pathology report listed the diagnosis as Triploidy 69,XXX. She was a girl. My Angel, which is what we are calling her. She is up in heaven watching over her mommy, daddy, and big sister, and hanging out with her grandpa who is protecting us all.

Sadness, but closure. And a heart full of love.

2 comments:

Monica H said...

I'm glad you have answers. Knowing 'why' doesn't always make things easier, but it's nice to know that no one or thing was at fault. These things just happen. I'm just sorry it had to be your little girl- your sweet angel.

hugs to you.

MQSMQS said...

Health Tips In Urdu
hair loss treatment-Girte Kamzor Balon Ka ilaj
Sex Timing Medicine
decrease the enlarged abdomen-motapay ka ilaj
increase sex timing at home tips
Constipation Treatment-qabz ka ilaj
Krona Various Safety Measures
weak Brain Treatment-dimagi kamzori ka ilaj