Monday, March 30, 2009

Can't catch a break

I've been silent lately, but alot has happened. My last post was long, so I am going to keep this one short. After all the drama, we finally closed on both houses Monday 3/16. We moved into the new house the next day and have been here almost 2 weeks. We love it. Its huge - so much room, so much storage - everything we ever wanted. My kitchen is amazing and cooking in it is a dream. Jordyn is doing great and adapting to her new surroundings surprisingly well. Everything was going perfectly.

On Thursday I got laid off. 10 days after closing on my house, I lost my job. I am angry, hurt, pissed off, sad, and various other emotions I can't express. This is the 2nd time I have been laid off in 9 years at this company. The first time I felt it was personal. This time I know it was economical. In a team of 14 people, 4 of us were laid off. The company is in the shitter and the economy sucks. It doesn't sting any less, especially since I now have a larger mortgage to pay. My boss and other superiors knew about the move. How do you knowingly make the decision to lay someone off who just bought a new house. Never mind in 9 years I never had a less than perfect review, not a glitch on my HR file. I am furious.

The good news is I get a pretty good severance since I have been there so long. I can take some time to decide what I want to do and update my resume. I am just not looking forward to looking for a new job with the way things are right now. I don't want that stress, and don't want to worry about whether we will be able to afford our new house.

Oh and Jordyn had a stomach bug all week. Nothing like a layoff and some vomit to make you feel good about yourself.

2 comments:

Monica H said...

Ugh! That's how I feel about all of it. So sorry.

Larisa said...

Wow, that's tough and scary. I hope you are able to figure out a good solution soon.

Thanks for your comments on my blog.